Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Favorite


Van has many toys.
More than I thought he would have. Mostly from generous grandmas or uncles or friends, he plays with them all with great appreciation.

There is one that seems like his above all the rest.

Maybe it is the consistency of the reaction; a brightening of the eyes and face, a speedy crawl across the floor.

Maybe it is the length of play; long periods fiddling, chewing, patting, enjoying.

Some people have sophisticated taste in toys. They raise their kids on wood toys and classically beautiful toys. I always look at them in admiration.

Well, my boy is just like his mama I guess. Easy to please, maybe not too sophisticated, a little bit out of the loop of what is stylish or cool.

This book:


Complete with it's cheesy pictures, flashing lights and sounds, this book never gets old for my boy. He got it from his Mimi for Christmas. And actually, since I took it out of it's box, it hasn't worked quite right. Instead of singing the songs and saying the words, you hear this sort of droning that resembles a dying robot or something out of Wall-E.

As we lay in bed last night, in my best broken robot voice I sang the book's "song" to GK. We laughed until our stomachs hurt and said, "What a cool boy we have."

3 comments:

krissiecook said...

Where's the video on that one?

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

we read that book in my program. it's a liberal arts classic. very deep.

Aimee said...

It's one of my favorites. I have two copies just in case I loose one