Thursday, October 2, 2008

Naptime Update or Early Christmas Card

Van's asleep. Someone out there has more clout with him than I do. You must have convinced him of the dire necessity of a new blog post because he is out for the count. Good work people. So now that I've got a few quiet moments after scrubbing the bathroom, vacuuming the living room, sorting the laundry and eating a late lunch, I'll give you a quick update on each of us starting from most to least interesting.

Van

Is Eleven weeks on Sunday. He is still accused by nosey women on the street of being skinny, but he makes up for it in strength. He holds his head up for long periods of time, he stands on his little legs with the help of a responsible adult, he gauges holes in his cheeks and forehead when his nails aren't quite short enough. His grunts have given way to gummy smiles and the beginnings of a priceless laugh. He thinks his mama is the funniest lady in the world, and he flinches as his daddy's whiskers come in for a kiss. He has bright blue eyes that take in everything around him, he prefers Biden to Palen, and he can count to seven. Okay that last thing's not true, but everything else is.

Reggie

Has taken to helping with housework. He used to only clean the floor in the kitchen, but now he's on the look out for any article of clothing or fabric that has spit up or other baby substance on it. He even attempts at times to clean off Van's face when I'm not looking, or catch the spit up before it even comes out of his mouth. He refuses to enter into political discussion.

GK

Is loving school this semester. He's finally taking a few of the classes he's been looking forward to since day one. He's creating action plans for his capstone project next semester, his job search for next semester, and his job search for the post graduation move to San Francisco. He's excited about his new calling and enjoying being 40+ years younger than the other temple workers. He loves the autumn chill that's coming on and is so excited that his parents and Bubba and Jason and Sarah are coming to see us in New York in a couple of weeks. He gets regular comments and thumbs up from total strangers when he wears his Obama t-shirt that he got on the street for $5.

Susanna

Well, I've taken to hanging out with other mothers of young babies. We talk about breastfeeding woes and gas and pediatricians and baby gear. I went on ebay for the first time last night and won a jogging stroller for $76. I may have just uncovered an unhealthy addiction. I'm a little nervous about the coming of winter because I'm loving being outside every minute possible. I'm getting a little nervous as election day comes around.

Now you see why I don't do update posts more often. I stink at them. Our life isn't as boring as I make it out to be. We live in the most exciting city in the world according to itself, and we are engaged in the most meaningful pursuits of our lives according to us.

And now Van's awake, so you'll have to wait til his next nap to see some pictures. Believe me, they're worth the wait.

5 comments:

Dad Risser said...

No, keep it up. Your notes are engaging and full of life. Funny about GK's t-shirt. I keep getting remarks and looks for my Prop 8 Restore Marriage" bumper sticker every time I drive through Hollywood on my way to anf rom work.

Really getting excited about the NY/Vermont/Boston trip.

MARTHA said...

I'm glad you made a post with your precious time. It's fun to see how you're doing. I hope we get another update soon, but I can understand if you want to take a nap when Van naps.

How exciting about the Risser's coming to town. Have a nice visit.

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

so i guess i shouldn't wear my sara palin shirt around Van and his fellow New Yorkers.

Sydney said...

Susanna, I LOVE your updates. However, I need to get my bro to fill me in more (San Francisco, temple job, etc???). Very exciting times and I love keeping a nose in your business. Be well.

Kristy said...

Wow, Van is advanced for his age! My kids have yet to pick a political party let alone a candidate... but I am fairly certain that if Minni Mouse were to run, she could easily secure their vote! :)

We are so excited about your California move! It will be so nice to be on the same coast again :)

-Kristy