Sunday, May 1, 2011

An Accomplishment


Friday was a rough day. It started out tired and was fueled by three cranky kids and some every day chaos. And by evening, I felt like I was drowning. I was overwhelmed with how many things in my life were demanding my attention, and only getting the bare minimum.

By the time GK and I had the kids in bed, I was exhausted and in my fatigue I started to let my emotions and my imagination run away with me. I felt sad that my children didn't have the mom they deserved, that I didn't communicate better with my husband, that my house wasn't more orderly and more fun, that my classes weren't better prepared and executed, that my... 

Well, I won't go on, but you get the idea.

Then I started thinking what a stupid idea it was to have signed up for a half-marathon back in early March. What had I been thinking? I went to bed with these thoughts running through my head. Needless to say, I had a hard time sleeping.

At 5:50 AM as the rest of the house slept, I tried not to let myself think too much. I got dressed in my fluorescent pink shirt that I'd picked out at Target so that I'd be easy to see in the crowd, did a little warm-up sun salutation, ate a little breakfast and went outside to meet my ride. 

Once my friend Heather and I arrived and signed in, I called GK to say everything was set. I asked him how everyone was and he said they were still asleep. (Turns out Van was actually awake and sitting under the dining room table eating powdered Nestle Quick) He said to run with my phone so they could try to catch me at some point along the way.

I started my race and GK started his. He changed three diapers, packed snacks, drinks, stroller while Van entertained the girls.
They raced into Sacramento and GK called me at mile 5 as they got close. He called again after he had parked, unloaded, and sprinted up the hill with the world's largest stroller. We were both so disappointed, they had just missed me. So like a champ, he packed up the kids again, broke down the stroller and drove to the finish line.

Some photo highlights of the race:

Just before I saw them at the finish line

 Just after we reunited

 Van thought my bib looked like a bag of popcorn. He kept reaching inside to see if he could find some.

 The girls enjoying the free bananas in their jammies

 My medal

 My banana (altogether, we put away seven)

 Josie enjoying the mariachi band

 The mariachi band (Van loved the trumpets)

 My friend Heather who ran her fastest half ever

 Family Portrait (the girls are behind Vanny, there's no good angle to get everyone in that stroller)



In the end, it wasn't such a stupid idea after all. I made good time and accomplished something I'd set out to do. It turns out it was just what I needed after a day like Friday. And the absolute highlight of the experience was kissing the faces of my sweet babies and my love. 

Maybe there's something to this idea of enduring to the end.

13 comments:

Angella said...

You're pretty much the coolest, most amazing woman I know. And you're also the coolest mom I know, too. I'm so proud of you!!!

MARTHA said...

Good for you!

annie said...

well done, lady. well done.
how do you still look cute after running 13.1?
tell me your secrets.

Valerie said...

Fantastic, Sus. Congratulations. Those 13.1 miles are no small feat. Good for you, pal.
Now, let's make plans to run the Brooklyn half next year, okay?

Amberly said...

first, you look fantastic. second, there are some days that I would trade my whiny children for any sort of break, including running, which is saying something for me. I'm glad you got time to run it all out and return a happy mama. nice job, lady!

Teri said...

Great job! That had to feel so good.

Heidi said...

Ahhh I feel like I have so much to say with this post:

1st I think every mom has those days like that 1 kid, 3 kids, 7 kids. Regardless motherhood has it's hard days, that says NOTHING about your character. I know you are an amazing mom and they are blessed to have you!

And they have a great dad, to run around like that to catch you, SO CUTE!

And it's SO important to do things like the run for yourself. That is great. I love running and setting new goals, etc. GREAT JOB! SUPER MOM!

Chris Fullmer said...

Sorry friday was so rough. Ours wasn't that great either, specifically missing your class.
:( Started everything off stinky...

You should already know that I am more than impressed at all that you do for your family. You are amazing! Congrats on finishing your half. -Fenna

Vera said...

Congratulations - and ditto to all of the above!!!

Dad Risser said...

Three thumbs up for you. (You didn't know I had that many, did you?)Way to go!!

skipshots said...

Hey, what a rush! You are stronger than you thought you were on Friday. Maybe we all are stronger than we think, and need to remind ourselves of that when we think we aren't. I love you so. Congrats to GK! He ran his own kind of marathon that morning, too. Thanks, GK. Love you, too!

Aimee said...

youre amazing and that gigantic stroller is awesome

Britt said...

seriously...if after i die, i get sent to purgatory, they'll make me run---forever and ever and ever.

you're my hero.