Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Better to have loved and lost...

Our house has been a little meloncholy today. It's strange how much things affect us I suppose. I certainly don't mean to be dramatic, and GK and I have already been accused of treating our pets like people. But we can't help our attachment to them, especially to Johann, who in spite of our neglect lived a pretty full life.

GK bought our beautiful Beta Johann as a present for me almost two years ago. We had previously had two goldfish (one gold-Goldie, and one black-Kurt) who didn't last very long in spite of our best efforts. So we decided to get a tougher fish, and what we got was Johann. He was bright and beautiful and active and vibrant. When we dropped his food in the bowl, he snapped at it with amazing precision (and a fair amount of violence).

After surviving our move across the country from Denver to New York in a Nalgene bottle, Johann started to seem a little depressed. He stopped swimming around as much, he ignored the food we gave him and for a while we weren't sure how he was still alive. We went to Utah and California on multiple two week trips and would just leave him in our apartment. We'd give him a little extra food when we left (which he wouldn't touch) and we'd come back to our amazingly tough fish.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, GK decided to try to encourage Johann to return to his pre-New York state. So he bought a couple of guppies and for several days, Johann seemed to respond. He chased them (non-threatningly, but territorially), and swam around showing off his beautiful fins.

The guppies weren't as tough and after only a couple of weeks, one died. GK promptly went out and bought a new one. He placed the baggie into the top of the fishbowl and went to get a few things ready for the release. When he got back into the room he said, "Where is Johann?" I said, "What do you mean? Did he escape?" We searched all around and found him on the carpet in front of the bowl. It had been a minute or two and there was a clear path showing where he had flopped along and rubbed off most of his scales. We promptly put him back in the bowl and watched as he treaded water and slowly began breathing more regularly. We felt sick to our stomachs and hoped that once again our Johann would prove that he was the world's toughest fish.

This morning we woke up and found him face down at the bottom of the bowl beginning to decompose. He passed away from injuries sustained from an attempted escape. We'll miss him. It's strange, but I didn't realize how many times in a day I would glance up from my chair where I nurse Van and look to see how he was doing, until he just wasn't there.

If you're still reading, you're a better friend than I am. I loved my fish. I hope he had a good life.

13 comments:

Amberly said...

I am quite sorry about Johann, but am so glad to hear from you. We need an update on little Van when you have a free minute. Our condolences as you attempt to fill the empty space in the bowl. and the hearts.

Teri said...

That was the funniest, saddest, most dramatic, beautifully written story about a fish I have ever read. Sorry about your loss. I do have to admit, I am sure glad that your story was not about Reggie.

seven smiles said...

moment of silence for Johann...

Okay,
It was really great to see you guys last weekend. Van is as adorable in person as he is in pictures. (And you guys were pretty cute too.) Love ya!

McKelle said...

So sorry for your loss. Morgan and I too had a fish like that. He tragically took his like by jumping out of his bowl...about a year ago.

Seriously good to hear from you. How's little baby Van?

krissiecook said...

My condolences on the loss of your beloved Johann. I have avoided pets due my complete and utter failure at plants. In fact, Kevin had a pretty good argument about our potential to be good parents - it we can't care for a cactus, how would we do with a baby? Luckily, unlike the silent cactus, babies have a way of getting your attention.
Anyway, your care and attention to your fish only proves what great parents you must already be.

Shiloh said...

When your eyes start filling up with tears over a story about a fish.... well you are either a really captivating writer or I am so pregnant that anything and everything will make me cry. Sorry for your loss. But when I first started reading, I thought something happened to Reggie and that definitely would have made me cry.

Heidi said...

Well I guess we are not as much pet lovers as most. We STILL have Ella's goldfish (Dora) from the OC Fair and Ned is sick of changing the water (in the cheap bowl we also got free from the fair) and he is threatening to flush it...ALIVE!!! We lost one already (to natural causes), but flushing a goldfish alive... that's just WRONG!

Dad Risser said...

I'll quote GK: " A post without pictures? Ridiculous!"

Susanna said...

Which picture would you prefer? Johann decomposing in the bowl or floating in the toilet?

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

so how Van taking all this? poor little man is already exposed to grief and loss. Make sure you talk him through these tough times and be aware of how he's feeling.

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

oh yeah, and can you please post both of those pictures?

Dad Risser said...

I'm with Derek, but I'd really like to see the decomposing one.Life can be so gruesome!

Kristy said...

That's a great fish story but what about YOU GUYS. No blog entry in well over a month, I want to hear about what you three have been doing! In case you are stuck here are some good openers...

GK will be finished with school...
Susana is busy doing...
Van is___months old and can already...
We will be moving back to California...

:) in case it isn't obvious, we really miss you guys and hope all is well. Oh and we would love to see pictures of your lovely family too (not to be too demanding) :)

-Kristy