Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We're Back in the Game...

Moving fairly slowly.
People keep asking me how the adjustment to motherhood is going. It always starts a little differently depending on whether or not the person asking has made the adjustment. But the question is essentially the same. Are we surviving the inevitable lack of sleep imposed on us by our little angel. And my answer is always the same. I love it!


For the first few nights, hearing his little cry was like hearing noises on Christmas Eve as a child that you were sure were Santa Clause. It was such an amazing thing to realize each time I woke up that he was still there and that this was our little family. I will admit that after several sleepless nights, as my mom's impending departure drew nearer, there were moments when I would wake up for nighttime feeding number four and think, "Okay love, eat quick so mommy can sleep."

Having my mom here with us was so helpful and wonderful. We've planned on her coming since the first signs of Van's existence. I kept thinking, "It'll be nice to have her here. But GK's schedule is pretty flexible, so we don't really need the extra help." Boy was I wrong. It was so far beyond nice to have another pair of hands and another mind to help brainstorm why he might be so fussy.

One of the incredible blessings of having her here was her documentation of the first week of our little one's life in beautiful pictures. I couldn't pick which one was my favorite, so I decided to put a few on here. I have always been opposed to the thought of posting scantily clad pictures of my child on a fairly public forum, but these pictures turned out more beautiful than I had imagined. And I thought some of you might enjoy my mom's incredible timing in capturing the stream of pee. (Only seconds later in the cleanup, his little umilical remnant fell off. So that particular little picture caught quite a story)












I had lofty goals for my return to normal life. I made lists of all the things I would get done while he slept. It only took a day to realize that my life will move more slowly for awhile. And only another day to be really grateful for that. I'm so grateful for my days with my Van.

28 comments:

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

sweet, first comment. tell van i'm coming to visit sometime and that he better have some clothes on. maybe i'll buy him something from gap baby. or banana republic baby. or j-crew baby.

Melanie said...

There is nothing wrong with moving slowly... Some of us are still adjusting slowly 9 month later. :)

What a sweet tiny little thing! & You guys look so happy. Congratulations!!

Eddie said...

Oh... My... Gosh! What perfect timing. I would have never noticed Van peeing in the black and white if you didn't say anything. I laughed so loudly, I got Soleil's attention and can hear her squeezing her way out from under the bed to inspect what got me so excited.

I love the pictures, they are so beautiful! I don't mean to sound like a broken record but enjoy the slowed down moments now because it all goes by too quickly.

Sydney said...

Welcome back Susanna. GK did a fine job subbing for you while you were "busy" birthing. I second all of Eddie's comments. Beautiful pictures- I especially like the feet and the peeing pic... priceless.

Dad Risser said...

The expression on his face while he's relieving himself is great! I don't know if he'll feel the same about it when he's older, but I love it. Beautiful pictures. Can't get enough of them.

Amberly said...

it's so great to hear from you and know that things are heavenly in your little brooklyn pad. it's wonderful that you're seeing the amazing blessing that may cause a little sleep-deprivation from time to time. love you!

Jennifer said...

I love it, the two of you will be great parents. I love the peeing picture. Enjoy it while it last because I can't believe how fast it goes. Congrats

Teri said...

Except you are afraid that Santa Clause is going to fall off of the roof or spontaneously combust.

You guys look so great. What an adorable child. Isn't that great to hear? You will always know that but I think it is fun to know that others agree with you. Yeah, those first few weeks are doosies. Fun, but almost dream-like. Write them down, I am already forgetting things that I thought I would always remember.

That is great that your mom could be there to help out and she did a great job with the pictures.

Enjoy life in slow motion and take good care of yourself. We love you guys!

MARTHA said...

You're both such happy proud parents. I'm so pleased for you. I'm all about the feet. Sleep when you can.

Aimee said...

What to say that hasn't been said? Tell Van congrats on being born and already loosing the umbilical cord.

Emily Widdison said...

soooo cute! Love that pee stream! Your little Van makes me want another little boy.
Great job Susanna!! (oh and GK too:)

Dad Risser said...

Susanna definitely has the better-looking feet of the three of you. Maybe its my imagination, but in the picture of GK holding naked Van, do their smiles look alike?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful
Thank you so much for sharing in such a personal, beautiful way.
Tears of Joy!
Love You All

Jamie said...

I've been waiting every day for more photos! You guys look wonderful and can't wait to see you soon.

seven smiles said...

beautiful

Woolley Family said...

He is so pecious! I am so excited we have blogs otherwise we would never get to see eachothers family.Congratulations and I know the sleepless nights seem so long but as you can see on my blog it goes by so fast. Katie

Woolley Family said...

Sorry I guess I should do a spell check before I publish my comment.I meant he is so precious.

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

he is so precious and your mom did a great job on the pictures. Van is lucky to have you as parents! try to get some sleep!

Jill T said...

Reading your blog makes me think back on when Izabella was a new born and how much I miss that phase--glad to see that you are enjoying it so much despite the lack of sleep.

Van is super cute and your family is beautiful.

It was good to see a comment from GK even though I was told not to be surprised by my self-inflicted pain.

krissiecook said...

Yeah! Van is super adorable. I can't wait to see more. Keep up the good bloggin'!

Lisa said...

Congratulations Susanna and GK! That baby is so cute! I'd love to hold him.

CYNDI said...

He is so darling. Has he changed much since he was born? I remember holding Jacob once he regained his birth weight and thinking, 'All of this was inside of me?' It is incredible to me how quickly they fit right into your lives as if they were always there. I hope he is sleeping better for you. Does your place have a washer/dryer inside your apartment?

Unknown said...

Susanna, he is beautiful, and the three of you look so happy together. Many, many congratulations. And I must admit, I am particularly fond of the mid-stream shot. Much love, Kate

Kayla Laird said...

i love him! i cant wait to see him for the first time. i just dont know when that will be =(

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

i'm ready for a new post.

Dad Risser said...

I agree. WAAAYYYY overdue for a new post.

Luis and Katie De Leon said...

Hey GK, I saw you on one of Kristy and Jeremy's post. Your son is beautiful. Congratulations!

Kayla Laird said...

i want to see little Van