Saturday, June 14, 2008

Proud Parents

JJ, Edwin, Me and baby, GK
Tonight we celebrated the graduation of our two Seminary students JJ Tang and Edwin Herrera.

I didn't have many expectations of the evening actually. Most meetings of the church are without the ceremony and ritual of many other religions. And this meeting was certainly without the pomp and circumstance of most graduations. But there was something moving about the tribute it paid to a bunch of teenagers who woke up really early. Some of them every day for four years.

The meeting was scheduled at 5pm, so when GK and I walked in at 4:57 and saw only the CES director and one other couple with two small children we were sure we had gotten the time wrong. No, we got it right. And when there were a few more people there, they started the commencement... at around 5:25.

I won't belabor this post more than necessary by detailing the minutes of the meeting, but between the leaders' remarks and the presentation of the diplomas both Edwin and JJ had been asked to share their testimonies. I felt like a proud mother. I listened as they both talked about how much they had learned about the scriptures this year, and how much they appreciated GK and me for teaching them. They talked about how it had prepared them to serve missions and understand more fully the role of Christ in their lives.

I wouldn't have traded this year of Seminary for the world as I listened to these two boys talk about their experience. For every morning that I threw up on the street on the way to or from Seminary, and for every morning that GK made me stay in bed; for every morning that we walked down the hill to the train with the icy wind blowing right through our layers and for every morning we came home soaked from unexpected rain, I knew that we had been blessed by knowing two such dedicated, humble, sincere 18 year olds.

10 comments:

Dad Risser said...

Even though you can't see it while its going on, it really does become evident how worth the effort it is, doesn't it?

Sydney said...

So nice to have you back in the blogosphere Susanna!
You (oh, and GK too) are looking wonderful. They seem like really decent young men and one has to appreciate the dedication of both students and instructors who commit themselves to a purpose like that. Good on ya!

seven smiles said...

You guys are awesome. Those kids were lucky to have you as their teachers.

MARTHA said...

I'm so proud of you. WOW!

pf said...

great post, susanna. absolutely fantastic.

Amberly said...

I'm glad you can see your efforts pay off, it's so much easier to serve when you can see the fruits of your labors once in a while, or so I think!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful feeling to know you have done something good. The teachers I remember are the ones I knew who loved me. They'll ALWAYS remember you.
(GK you are like a chameleon.)

Genevieve said...

Hey welcome back to blogging. Sam and I are thinking of you and hope your are survivng the heat there in the big apple!

Ryan said...

That's rad you guys. I got up early a couple months ago to accompany the seminary class at the Grant Street Building, and it was tough. But seeing that one valiant student there made it totally worthwhile.

Can't wait to see lil' Ris.

J Coastie said...

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I love you big brother but this picture just cracks me up for some reason. hahahaha

Susanna, you look as beautiful as always! Can't wait to see the new little Risser man. :)