Thursday, January 31, 2008

Miss Us???

Many of you are thinking... What?? Miss you?? Susanna has posted more often this week than ever before, and GK's mug grins at us every time we log on the blog (assuming you log on as often as I do :). But those of you who have tried to call know we have effectively cut ourselves off from the outside world.

A few weeks ago during a heavy storm my cell phone happened to be charging in our kitchen right in the spot where a small drip started from sitting water on our roof. After a few drops too many, my phone stopped working except with the earpiece. No problem... I used my earpiece. Until one morning when I was sleeping, Reggie ran out of toys (or just got bored) and chewed up my earpiece. So I was reduced to only texting. Still, I didn't take dynamic action because GK and I have two different providers and I wanted to take my time to research our options before we got new plans and new phones. So I texted my little heart out and used GK's phone when I made my calls.

Well... on our lovely walk home from the seminary train this morning, GK took his phone out of his pocket to check the time. Unfortunately, as his hand came out of his pocket, his phone flew out of his hand and flew to the ground several feet in front of us. The body of the phone and the battery separated and we watched in disbelief as the battery teetered on the edge of the storm drain and then fell in! The solutions seems simple enough... get a new battery. Except that his phone is ten years old. So we're hoping that even though we're in the land of no customer service some of the phone numbers of GK's new surfing buddies are still in there and still accessible and that some angel in Brooklyn will help us get them.

So we've reached a critical point in the land of no phones. Stay tuned and hopefully we'll rejoin the 21st century... tomorrow!

6 comments:

zippity-do-da said...

Yikes! It's like the phone nemises is out to get you and eliminate all communication forever. I had my phone dropped in an unflushed toilet by one of my little helpers. I know what this loss must feel like to you. There is always a solution; as long as you have a river of money and a mountain of patience. Good luck!

Teri said...

Was this whole experience slow motion? Because as I was reading it, it was super slow motion, from the flying out of the pocket to the teetering. Sad. I hate realizing that I am completely dependent on a phone for all communication.

Bryn Stucki said...

Susanna! Yes I do miss you! I'm so glad you found our blog. Diane and I were talking about you when we got together before Christmas. How are you doing? What are you doing? my email is brynstucki@gmail.com I would love to keep in touch.

McKelle said...

Happy birthday yesterday Susanna. (the 2nd right?). Did you guys get to do anything fun?

Brooke said...

What, no comment on my blog? We were friends too you know! I am assuming you found my blog through Katie. I was just in San Diego and I asked Diane about you, she was like, "I really need to find her somehow!" so it's perfect you found us! I will read up on your blog and see what you are up to!!

p.s. when we live in Baltimore there was a girl who looked exactly like you and I actually went up to her the first week and said, "You must have a sister named Susanna, don't you?" but she didn't have sisters, just a coincidence. It made me think of you a lot though!

alysha said...

yes actually, I do miss you guys.
found your blog through Katie's.
Have you forgot about me already?
& happy late b-day!