Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blue

This morning, to battle the blues that have chased me through the week, I woke up and decided to take Van and Reggie for a jog. Reggie doesn't have very long legs, so he does our warm up walk with us and then he lounges in the basket underneath the stroller for the run.

I used to jog several times a week in Prospect Park. The outer loop is just over three miles, and when pushing a stroller with a severe righthand veer, it's a good workout.

I've been slow to pick up the tradition here for a couple of reasons:

One, Utah is high! My dad's new license plate says "Life Elevated" and it's the truth. My little sea level lungs are taking a while to catch up.

Two, I didn't know where to go. I could run along the sidewalk and end up at a stripmall or a gas station or the freeway.

Then I thought of it--- Wheeler Farm!

I grew up playing in the wild woods at Wheeler Farm, sneaking into the hay loft (I think somewhere in there is one of my mom's electric blankets that my friend Melissa and I ditched when the farmer chased us out), visiting the little store, seeing the animals.

This was the first visit in years, and the first ever with my own little Van. It was so incredible to look at it all from his huge, curious, excitable eyes. He pointed at each animal, and giggled as the baby calf came close enough to the fence for us to feel his breath.

Be gone blues, we've got things to do.

7 comments:

CYNDI said...

I remember when I first went to BYU climbing that huge staircase and getting really winded or being embarrassed having to stop so many times hiking the Y. :)
I also think it is an emotional roller coaster to move. You get an adreneline rush as you get ready to go, excited at the possibilities. But then reality hits as all the unknowns creep in. But soon some of the possibilities will work out and you will be together with your love again and memories of NY won't come as fast anymore. I loved watching your little Van walk on your blog. He is so cute.

Melanie said...

Um. . . 'scuse me? You're in UT? I kept trying to figure out if that was the case, and it's TRUE!

We need to play.

Seriously.

Soon.

Sydney said...

Your friends are wise! I look forward to seeing you soon!

Sara Clifton said...

BUT...do they have pigeons, rats, and crazy squirrels at that farm?

BLUES BE GONE and leave Suzanna alone!!! There is so much awesomeness ahead :)

Eddie said...

I love Wheeler Farm! We only went there a few months ago for the first time, but now I love going & sitting in the car feeding Keira while Matix looks at the animals. Its a great place for kids.
Carline

Anonymous said...

I've been bad about checking in on everyone. I need to call my brother to find out all the details. I love how you write and all your pictures. I love how Reggie is helping Van 'walk' in the one video. As I said in another blog - we Rissers need to have a family reunion soon!

Shiloh said...

how can you be so blue with cafe rio so close. you just need a pork salad. that gets rid of the blues everytime guarenteed. we miss you guys. pete took his first few steps to andy the other night. it was awesome.