Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tonight

After putting Van down to sleep I turned on the TV to fill the silence.

I watched the last three minutes of "Raising Helen". Now, I can scoff at a silly chick flick with the best of them (or watch the same one five times in one weekend). But tonight as I watched them walk down the boardwalk by the Hudson River, I got all choked up.

I cried a little as I thought of the last week we spent together as a family in New York. I find that most of my stories and sentences these days start with, "In New York..." It's got to get a little old to those listening, but I can't help it.

I miss my city.

I miss my friends.

I miss my park.

I miss my sweet husband.

I miss my dungeon. I never thought I'd say that, but I do.

7 comments:

McKelle said...

I remember feeling like that when I left Spain, except that I was totally ready to get home. I hope you find your new location (California?) just as wonderful.

Hey, and what about Newsies? We had to have watched that show 5 times in one day. I remember rewinding it over and over.

Kristy said...

I'm sorry to hear that you miss NY, but we miss all of you and can't wait to welcome you back to CA. Love you guys! See you soon.

-Jeremy

Amberly said...

I still have those aches deep down for that magical city. It permeates the film industry as well as so many others that you can't fully escape it, which I'm grateful for- but it means the ache remains.

Sydney said...

I knew you'd miss it- really special memories were made there but it's nice to know there are new adventures ahead. Like Jeremy, I'm looking forward to hearing your stories rather than reading them (though I love how you write so I'll still read them too).

Valerie said...

I can't believe you watched Raising Helen.

New York misses you too. It told me last Thursday.

Sara Clifton said...

I have a very simple solution: JUST COME BACK. Pretty please?!?!?

suvi said...

come back! I went to the botanic gardens today and wanted to go with someone-- but not just anyone-- you and van!! You are missed so, so much.