Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Remember Father's Day?

Growing up in my family we had a saying "We spread out the fun". Usually it had to do with birthdays. It meant your birthday party was going to be a few days after your birthday, or your card was coming a little late, or your present wasn't quite "ready". I always kind of loved it.

My mom made me feel special, even (or maybe especially) when we were spreading out the fun. I have been accused of spreading out my fun a little too long. Like the year I used the "You Are Special Today" plate through my brother Alex's birthday- nine days after my own. I don't remember how I ended up with the plate, but my sister Elizabeth remembers and in her version of the story I was still using it on her birthday- six weeks after mine.

Now that I'm a mom, I appreciate the various benefits of spreading out the fun. I like the idea of literally celebrating birthdays for weeks or graduations for months. As someone who has a lot on her plate, I also need the quick forgiveness that comes when celebrations happen a little slower than I'd like.

But with all that said, I recognize the deep satisfaction when the stars align and the catastrophes halt to allow things to come together just in time for one perfect day. A day to recognize GK the father, the husband and the man. I guess that's why I feel okay that this post is about three days late.

I love giving gifts. Correction: I love knowing what people love. Once I do, I can't help myself. I like to take note of random clues and unintentional hints and when the opportunity arises, make them a reality.

Since Van was born, he's had a plethora of soft comfy pants with horizontal stripes. On many occasions, GK said, "I wish they made pants like this in my size." Hint number one.

One day getting dressed for church, GK put on a blue silk tie only to pull it back off grumbling something that contained the words spot, stupid and ruined. Hint number two.

Last year after teaching seminary for several months, GK started taking some inexpensive paperback scriptures instead of the ones from his mission, afraid they had become too tattered and fragile. Hint number three.

With a little crafty magic and some brilliant book binding buddies, GK's celebration exceeded expectation (something we all know I have a problem with). But to stay with tradition, the pictures are yet to come. Just to spread out the fun.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

SO cute! I got new scriptures too.

And we always spread out the fun too. My mom would always tell people it was our birthday the entire month when we went out to eat or anything...and she'd say its your b-day month...so we celebrate all month long...he he he...

MARTHA said...

I'm definitely going to use that "spreading out the fun" line. Wish I had known it sooner it's so apropos to our family busyness and you want people to feel special.

Dad Risser said...

I like that. That special day, whatever it is, always seems to take soo long to get there, and too short when it comes; then it's gone so fast. So....where are the pictures? Come on, quick, quick quick!!!!

Kristy said...

A tie printed with scripture?
Scriptures rebound in comfy pants?
Stripy comfy pants that repel spots?
Am I close?
Can't wait for the follow up pictures, the suspense is killing me :)

-Kristy

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

hey gk, no one wears silk anymore anyway. rayon is back in.