Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Extreme Nesting

In an effort to prepare our humble abode for our little man, we have kicked things into high gear. Some of you have heard the stories about our apartment not fit to be published even on a blog read by small numbers... the rest of you will have to use your imagination, and feel free to let it go wild. Some day in the confidence of friends (never over food of course) we'll tell you some of our fun stories of discovery and intrigue from inside our little Brooklyn Apt.

For the last... well, basically since we moved in... we've been thinking about finding another apartment. Once we found out we'd be joined by a little one who would spend much of his time closer to the floor than we usually are, we thought even harder about it. But aside from its quirks, our apartment has some perqs that we couldn't let go of.

1. Low rent. Sure it's 3X what we paid in Denver, but it's the absolute lowest we could find without living in dangerous places. And our utilities are included, which helps us justify the length of time our AC is running :)

2. Tons of parking. We love having our car to explore and to escape, and in many neighborhoods it's impossible to find street parking.

3. Prospect Park. We are only a short walk from the most beautiful park in New York. Designed by the same men who designed Central Park, Prospect Park was considered to be their masterpiece. We go there almost every day.

4. Washer and Dryer (not coin operated). This may seem like a small thing to you westerners, but believe me... it's huge!

Whew! So with that list explanation behind me, here are a few pictures of how we've been preparing for our new addition, including a few cultural experiences we hope have seeped in. And since I'm a little technologically challenged, they're in reverse chronological order.

Mondays in Bryant Park they show old movies.

This is The Man Who Came to Dinner.

One of GK's many pregnant portraits on the street in Carroll Gardens when we went to see Wall-E.

GK's Rock Concert... oh wait I mean Fireworks display.

The people who sold us the fireworks suggested putting them on a metal ladder to see more of the fallout, but we didn't have one. Hence... the ironing board.
Maeve, Zane and I waiting patiently while the men picked out their fireworks.

This is one of the main reasons we went to Virginia for the 4th of July. Fireworks are illegal in New York. But in VA, men can run through smoke to their hearts' content.

GK and I by the Brooklyn Bridge. Partaking in ward family fun.

GK's acrobatics necessary for painting our house. This is the passage from our kitchen to our main room.

What devotion. You'll see more of these when I document the before and after pictures. Coming soon.

Our pilgrimage to the opening day of Brooklyn's Ikea. We waited in this line and then were greeted by people in Scandanavian costumes (and a couple of scary clowns) cheering and making loud noises to welcome us into the store. It was pretty cool.

The Metropolitan Opera performed in Prospect Park. GK's not mad, he's just being pensive. We are at the Opera after all.
Hmmm. After downloading all these pictures, it looks like we've been playing more than nesting. So I guess you'll just have to wait for proof that our home is ready for this little guy. It's coming. And so is he.

16 comments:

gk risser said...

Be very afraid.

Dad Risser said...

Whoa!! Susanna, you finally look pregnant!! It's about time; especially with only a few days to go. Nice pics, but we were hoping to see more of the apartment. Want to she the nursery, etc. Really excited about this whole thing. Can't wait to see the little guy!

Misty said...

We've been thinking about you and can't wait to hear how everything goes. You look beautiful!

Aimee said...

I love the pictures and playing is always so much fun

McKelle said...

Susanna, you look amazing! Seriously, I'm impressed by you..probably because I looked so scary by the time I was as far as you are. Only a week left (about) right? I'm so excited. Can't wait for the post with the birth announcement.

Jennifer said...

Look likes fun and Susanna you look great I wish I looked half as good as you do pregnate. I got all fat in the face.

Lashley said...

Fun! So excited for you guys. And I agree, you're a wicked cute pregnant gal, Susanna.

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

you're place also has something that turns into a guest room. did you paint that room for the next time I visit? Blue is my favorite color.

Jamie said...

really - one of the cutest prego girls I have seen. You guys look like you're having fun!

Emily S. said...

So, HELLO, Susanna!! I am REALLY tickled you found my blog... What a treat! (Have I already commented back?? I swear "mommy brain" is REAL.)

ANYhoo... You are a DARLING preggy lady, and I am excited to keep in contact via your blog and hear all about this fabulous and interesting life of yours!

Sydney said...

Susanna you make pregnancy look fashionable! Beautiful. I heard about the Ikea opening in Brooklyn and thought of you guys. I'm jealous of all the city doin's. BTW- didn't get in to the NYC marathon :-( bad lottery!
Excited for the birth of baby Ris.

Heidi said...

Yeah pictures! I love seeing the pictures of you guys...so much fun and some much going on.

Susanna you look SO CUTE! You are so so tiny still. I am only 32 weeks and probably larger than you are at the moment. We didnt make it to Yosemite afterall this year (for a lot of reasons) but I am uncofortable already. BUT I probably cried everyday they were gone, we regret it, so next year we ALL better be in!

seven smiles said...

Why do people EVER think that a clown is a good idea?

Susanna, you look absolutely beautiful. Good luck w/everything--can't wait to hear all about baby ;)

Eddie said...

I just let Carline do most of the painting to help her shake the baby out.

Heidi said...

Ok we just heard the news... congrats!!!!!

BUT...we need the full update, numbers/stats, and pictures!

Three cheers for little boys!

Dad Risser said...

I'm with Heidi. Time to update, update update!!! We are so looking forward to coming up for the blessing in September.