Monday, January 9, 2012

Rites of Passage: I

I have come to this blog a million times since August with the intention of writing. With the idea of recording and sharing what was going on in our lives. A lot has been happening.

Since perhaps the very day of the last post, I'm pregnant. So that explains, perhaps, why a new post never actually occurred. Autumn came and we temporarily stopped gallavanting all over the Western United States, and moved across town. Halloween came and went, and Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and New Years, and new teeth, and new toys, and a new... well you get the idea.

In spite of all of that change and experience and life, I could never jump in mid-flow, mid-nausea and get back on track. But today all that changed. Today marked a rite of passage that has come sooner than I thought it would.

Today was Vanny's first day of school.


I imagined the picture of him standing in front of our front door with his new school clothes and his new backpack grinning at the camera in his excitement. You know, the picture I've seen of every other kid on his or her first day of school. But I knew I'd never see it. Not from my boy who hates cameras.

So after a first day of school lunch at In-N-Out, we went to his classroom and I tried to capture a bit of the experience. (Partly for GK who is out of town on business, and partly to stop time for just an instant).


His cute teacher Johana took a picture of us when he suddenly got nervous, then tried to escape to the playground.
But once inside, after finding his own hook for his own backpack... He decided the classroom was as good as any playground!




Vanny is such a special boy. He is tender-hearted and curious, he loves music and people. Over the past few days we've tried to help him get excited about the prospect of school. I'm sure it will be a bit overwhelming, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he learns.

At least for today, 2:30 can't come fast enough.

*Post script: Observations on revisiting this post. 
First and most important: Van has passed the stage when going to bed with wet hair is easily solved.
Second: That leg coming out of the open car door is Mimi (GK's mom) here to save us all while GK is out of town.
Third: Vanny's backpack turned out very cute. It's even cuter than I imagined when I started out. 
Fourth: Thanks mama for the sweater. He was proud to wear it on his first day!

18 comments:

Amberly said...

congratulations, on a million things. beautiful children, with another miracle on the way and on parting with child number one and sending him to school- what a bittersweet moment for a mama!

Heidi said...

He looks so cute and his school looks so fun! The girls look SO big too! Wow! Time flies....

J Coastie said...

Right on Van the Man! I'm so excited for you and proud of you! It was great seeing you and getting to hang out little buddy. Have fun in school!

gk risser said...

Oh...these images are so beautiful. It's best I wasn't there. I probably would have cried.

Kristy said...

Congratulations Van and we hope you LOVE your school!!! Preschool is pretty awesome :)
Love you guys, it was so fun getting to spend some of the Christmas holiday with you!

Sydney said...

As always, a beautiful post Susanna- beautiful words and beautiful images. Thanks! Hug to Van the Man.

annie said...

Congratulations. On both accomplishments. Both are huge. Both are important and noteworthy.
I'm always happy when awesome people help populate the planet.
And Van, well, school suits him. He's a stud.

krissiecook said...

Good work, you two! Also, having your oldest in school is a sweet taste of what's to come - a few hours of relative freedom with an intensified mutual appreciation. Don't tell Van that, though; let him think you're suffering.

Krisanne said...

What a fantastic story! You are just the loveliest person in the world.

Melanie said...

Holy smokes!! Congratulations!!

& what a big kid Van is! So excited for both of you that he gets to start school. That will be such a blessing .

Hooray for your sweet family!

Nicole said...

Congratulations! Your kids are beautiful!

MARTHA said...

So excited for you, congratulations! Glad to read your update. Was wondering how you were all doing.

julie said...

He is such a cutie! I am so happy for you Susanna! Beautiful family!

McKelle said...

Finally a post from you. I've been wondering abt you. Now I know a little bit of what's been going on. Congrats!

Ixchelle said...

I remember seeing you for the first time pregnant with your twins...you were beautiful and still are. Congratulations on your pregnancy. You have such beautiful babies.Good Luck with everything!!

Anonymous said...

First - congratulations on another sweet spirit(s) coming to your wonderful home. Second - they DO grow up all to fast. Your children are absolutely beautiful. Third - I read your previous post (I've been behind the times myself). I LOVE your stories of your life. You are such a beautiful writer. Thank you so much for sharing. All my love to your little growing clan:D

Emily Widdison said...

congrats!! so happy for everyone!

Jennifer said...

Friend! You are the best. Really. Let's plan something.