Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'm grateful for my life

Please don't dismiss this post as one of those syrupy meaningless "Seriously, so blessed" type of gratitude posts.

I'll be honest. My life has kicked me in the shins a few times over the last couple of weeks. More than once I have had to put my head in my hands and make a conscious decision to just keep moving. I am in over my head much of the time these days and often find myself wishing I could be more___________. You can fill in the blank with just about anything and it has probably run through my head. Twice.

But, all that aside, I am grateful for a life of comfort and safety and warmth and baby drool and potty training. And one day, when all of the challenges of this part of my life have given way to the challenges of the next part of my life, I'm sure I will miss it. A lot.

There is nothing like having small children around you to make you realize how quickly time is passing. There are many things I would like to teach my children and among them is something I'm still trying to learn myself. That is to drink in the moments for what they are. Hard, good, painful, joyful. Each one has a lifetime inside of it.

5 comments:

Lyssa said...

They say parenthood is made up of long days and short years. But the physicality of raising little ones soon moves into mental worry during the teen years. I don't know which is harder. You will master them both, I'm sure.

Rebecca said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I need to remember these days when all my kids are whining and tugging on my pant leg while trying to make dinner, I think I will miss these days, one day.

Teri said...

That was a very sweet post. I for sure go through those super lame days/weeks/months/periods. I was just thinking about you today because I have a craving for your delicious sugar cookies. I need that recipe. We might do them for FHE tonight. If you have a second could you send that to me? Hope you have a great day!

MARTHA said...

You're so good to understand that this time will pass quickly. I was told that so many times by so many older women. And I can testify now that it does pass quicker than you think. I got to hang on longer than most simply because of the number of children I had and having them late. It wasn't easy. My Sam turned 12 in November. I'm so glad to have him around. I try not to feel sad that I'm not part of those precious moments of yesterday. Instead I look happily to glimmering moments with grandchildren, substitute teaching, and church. In reading your posts, I'm always so pleased with your happy moments and share sympathy in your trials. You're a good mother. Have a Merry Christmas!

Krisanne said...

Beautiful post, Susanna. I so admire you.