Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Can't Stop Checking My Own Blog

And I'm not one who's comfortable with self promotion or the public exposure of intimate things.  So reading about the details of another person's life is too much for me sometimes. I can't do it alone, and I can't do it in the dark, and if those people aren't going to feel embarrassed and ashamed, then dammit, I'll do it for them. But I just love these little girls...so here's some more good stuff. Intimate, and delicious:


I didn't get to hold Cordelia after she was born. Trouble came to her right from the start and the first theoretical treatment was to keep her close to her Mom and sister for the night. She constantly groaned and wheezed, her little chest was sunken and she had a shallow pant and a little worrisome furrowed brow that never went away. It turns out she couldn't breathe without thinking about it, the way you and I and fat little Josie automatically can, so she labored without rest. For almost a day. I'm a paranoid Dad, it's true, but when Susanna called me in the morning to say that our little delicate one was in bad shape I learned a bit about real heartbreak. I'd never felt a physical hurt like that before. I hadn't even had the chance to see her little eyes. Until yesterday.


I feel dramatic talking about it. It's my nature to blow things off once they're settled, and to assume they're settled before they really are, but if we lived somewhere else, or in another time, there would be no happy ending. I believe that a loving God gives us our children to be ours forever. I believe that. But every premature loss is a tragedy. Ours opens me up to other people's experiences with their little ones and I wish I could be a doctor, or maybe what I am thinking of is a super-hero. My daughter's struggle, although serious and intense, only lasted a few days. Three times as long as I had known her otherwise. But I believe that children come to us as whole and complete people, and I didn't want her to go without seeing more of who she is. Susanna and I are so blessed, and lucky.

Since Monday morning Delia has continued to improve and develop each day at a rate that suprises everyone. Yesterday our Doctor called us with news that two days ago we were told we might not hear for weeks. So after Van was asleep and safe with his Grammy, Susanna and I made a late night drive to the hospital and found this:


There were several "firsts". Josie slept through the whole thing.










Thanks for letting me indulge...I just love being a Dad.


21 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I'm so happy I can't even put it into words. I saw your mom today at Costco and she is so happy and showed us the pic of her on your chest. It was so cute.

Eddie said...

Thanks for sharing. I cant imagine what it must be like to go through that. I am so happy that you have two beautiful daughters and one beautiful son. Its heartbreaking to see Delia on the respirator/cpap machine, but its comforting to know that it is available and has helped her out. We're all very excited to get to know your new little angels.
Carline

MARTHA said...

I feel your concern. I'm so glad your daughter is improving. Love you.

krissiecook said...

I can't stop checking it either! So keep updating and putting up beautiful pictures of your family. I'm so happy that things are improving.

Shiloh said...

so ya, openly admitting it, I cried a bit with this post. I am happy to hear she is doing better.

Dad Risser said...

Beautiful expressions. The words flow so ernstly. Is it just me or does she look like Van in the top picture? Can't wait till Saturday.

elizabeth said...

thank you gk for the update. what a beautiful little girls. i am so grateful for all of delia's firsts and josie's. i want another hundred pictures.

Anonymous said...

I'm very grateful you & Susanna share so much with us. You're in our prayers everyday and I'm so happy for Delia's progress. There is no greater agony or JOY than that of being a parent. We are so blessed to live in a time with all the medical knowledge to help these little ones who have to struggle in the begnning. We love you and look forward to continued updates. Hugs & Kisses all around.

Sydney said...

GK that was such a beautiful post and I can't tell you how moved I felt. My heart ached and soared for you all at once. Thrilled that she's doing better. Keep the updates coming because the rest of us are hanging on every scrap of news. Love you much.

Eddie said...

Ugh... That's exactly why I choose not to do pediatrics. I can feel the distress of the parents and I can't help but get caught up in it too. Breaks my heart.

Eddie

Jennifer said...

Aren't those nurses over at Sutter NICU amazing! This is gonna sound weird, but I'm glad we have the similar NICU experience in common. Although, D probably fit in better than our 8lb baby.

Regardless, we are SO happy she is doing so well. Is Van feeling better? Let us know if we can do anything--I promise we are all healthy :)

asiaelizabeth said...

Beautiful, you have a simply beautiful family and I hope your stay in the NICU is very short.As a Mom who lost a baby there I can just tell you that there are amazing people taking care of your daughter. They were lights in a very dark place. I too cant stop checking. I love the pictures and stories. Its not self proclomation its a desire to share your love for your family with others.Personally I appreciate the sharing.

annie said...

so happy to hear that she is doing well.
You guys are champions.
looks like Van is going to be a rad big bro.

Britt said...

we can't stop checking your blog either! the anxiety is now soothed a little bit--seeing her little eyes opened and her parents being able to touch her. bless her little heart. i can't imagine what you guys have gone through. hope i get to meet all these kids someday, by the way!

Rheanna said...

The girls are beautiful and you are all in our prayers! Thank you for the beautiful posts, I've been checking your blog almost every day! Love to you all!

Rebecca Lang said...

Thanks for all the updates GK. We're so glad Delia is getting better and she gets to experience the things her sister did.

Deston - he wanted to write his name.

Jennifer said...

Being a parent is the most heartbreaking and rewarding thing anyone could do. Thanks for sharing I'm so glad she is doing better.

Fillmore said...

Your lovely post brought tears to my eyes. Heavenly Father has given us a wonderful opportunity to be parents and experience such intense love. You both are blessed. I am so happy for your family and for Cordelia's strength. xoxo, Stephanie

Bonnie Weeks said...

They are such a blessing and miracle. I'm so grateful they were in such good hands.

julie said...

Great pictures and a great post! :)

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the “Next Blog” button in the Nav Bar at the top of my blogspot blog. I occasionally just check out other blogs to see what others are doing.